The cannabis industry has seen great growth in the past couple of years and a large chunk of that success is owed to cannabidiol (CBD), a hemp extract that is said to have medicinal properties. Barely a blip on the UK’s mainstream consciousness just a few years ago, CBD has exploded into an industry that will be worth almost £1 billion per annum by 2025.
One thing that makes CBD attractive to consumers, apart from the anecdotal claims of its numerous medical abilities, is that it can be consumed in a wide variety of forms. You can consume CBD in the form of tinctures, capsules, concentrates, topicals, sprays, and vapes. CBD creams are quickly becoming one of the more popular ways to use CBD owing to their simplicity of use, as well as their relatively quick and diverse effects.
Custom Making Your Own CBD Cream
Did you know you that can make your own CBD topical at home? You don’t need a chemistry degree or a factory full of sophisticated equipment to do it either. While you are free to look through the wide variety of CBD cream UK has to offer, the UK CBD market is barely regulated at the moment and has suffered from an influx of substandard goods. This means that making your own CBD lotion is a great way to ensure what you are putting on your skin is safe and will not harm you while getting all the benefits topicals are said to offer.
For starters, CBD creams are extremely fast-acting, offering almost immediate relief from conditions like muscle aches and pain, and the inflammation and joint pain that’s usually associated with arthritis. On top of that, CBD topicals are pretty great for your skin. High-quality CBD face cream can be effective against troublesome skin conditions like acne and eczema and is said to have an anti-aging effect due to CBD’s antioxidant properties. Making your own topicals gives you 100% control, and you can even tweak the recipe to make the best CBD cream for arthritis pain, anxiety, or blemished, inflamed skin.
What Kind of CBD Will You Use to Make Your Own Topicals?
Most home recipes for CBD products involve different variations of this procedure; dissolve CBD into some sort of heated substrate and let the mixture cool. That’s very simplified, of course, but you get the picture. The first thing you will need is CBD, either in tincture or isolate form. CBD tinctures consist of CBD molecules suspended in a base or carrier oil, usually MCT oil, coconut, or hemp seed oil. They are edible and can be added to drinks or just taken sublingually.
CBD isolate, on the other hand, is a pure crystalline powder that usually contains 99% pure CBD. After being extracted from the hemp plant, the CBD is stripped of any additional plant material, resulting in a product that’s extremely pure. If you can purchase CBD isolate, we’d recommend you do it. It can be measured precisely and mixes well with most carrier oils, making the entire process much simpler.
Salves, Creams, and Lotions
Before we start, you should know that CBD topicals are divided into salves, lotions, and creams, and each type will require a slightly different set of ingredients and procedures. CBD salves usually contain oil, beeswax, and CBD oil or isolate, and they are the simplest to make at home. A CBD lotion requires the same ingredients, plus water. CBD pain relief cream requires the same ingredients as the lotion but has a higher ratio of oil to water, roughly 75% oil and 25% water.
How to Make CBD Salve
Since the recipe for salves uses only oil, salves tend to be thicker than lotions and creams. You will need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup of oil (olive, sweet almond, apricot, sunflower seed, grapefruit seed).
- 3,000mg of CBD oil or 3 grams of CBD isolate.
- 28 grams of beeswax. (You can also use soy wax, candelilla wax or any alternative).
- Essential oils of your choice such as lavender, eucalyptus, tea tree, peppermint and frankincense. (optional).
- Heat the oil and beeswax and stir the mixture until the wax melts.
- Add the CBD oil or isolate and occasionally stir the mixture under low heat until the ingredients combine.
- Remove the simmering mixture from the heat and allow it to cool.
- If you are planning on adding an essential oil to your CBD salve, do it once the mixture has cooled but hasn’t solidified yet.
Pour the salve into a storage container, preferably a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid. You can apply the salve once it is completely cooled.
How to Make CBD Lotion
CBD lotions require similar ingredients to salves, only with water added on top. You will require the following ingredients;
- ¼ cup of the oil of your choice.
- ¾ cup of distilled water.
- 3000mg of CBD oil or 3 grams of CBD isolate.
- 14-28 grams of beeswax (you can also use soy wax or candelilla wax).
- Essential oils of your choice (optional).
- Heat the oil and beeswax in a double boiler, stirring until the wax completely melts.
- Add CBD isolate or oil and stir the mixture over low heat until it’s fully dissolved into the oil and beeswax.
- Allow the mixture to cool (add any essential oils once it has slightly cooled).
- Before the mixture is completely cool, slowly add water until you reach the desired consistency.
- Pour the mixture into an appropriate storage container, preferably a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid, and let it cool completely before using it.
Note: You may have some trouble pumping homemade CBD lotion out of a dispenser.
How to Make CBD Cream
Although there’s an extra layer of work compared to salves and lotions, making CBD cream for pain at home is relatively simple. They tend to be thicker than lotions but are not as thick as salves, with the deciding factor being the ratio of oil to water (usually 75% oil and 25% water). You will need the following ingredients to make your own CBD cream;
- ¼ cup of distilled water.
- ¾ cup of the oil of your choice.
- 3000mg of CBD oil or 3 grams of CBD isolate
- 14-28 grams of beeswax (you can also use soy wax or candelilla wax).
- Any essential oil of your choice (optional).
- Heat the oil and beeswax in a double boiler, stirring until the wax is completely melted.
- Add CBD isolate or oil and stir the mixture over low heat until it’s fully dissolved into the mixture of oil and beeswax.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and allow it to cool slightly before adding any essential oils of your choice.
- Slowly add water to the CBD cream until it has reached the desired consistency. More water will create a thinner, lotion-like mixture while less water will make the cream thick, kind of like a salve.
As you can see, you don’t always have to go online to see the array of high-quality CBD cream Amazon UK has to offer. Whether it’s the best CBD cream for pain or reducing acne, you can do it yourself: all you need are the right ingredients and a little patience. So before you start thinking, are there any shops that sell CBD cream near me, ask yourself whether you are up for the challenge of making your own CBD lotion.
It’s fun, easy and it opens up an entire world of DIY CBD products. Have you ever made your own CBD cream or lotion? How did it turn out? We’d love to hear your experience in the comments!